Christmas Decorating Without the Bugs
Posted December 4, 2013
Tis the Season to go into the basements, attics, garages or storage sheds to pull out all of the Christmas decor you have been secretly wanting to put up all year long. Time to untangle yet another light strand and install nature front and center in your living room. We want you to have a humbug free Christmas, so here are a few tips that will help keep pests from giving you a blue blue Christmas.
- Inspect your tree carefully at the time of purchase. Look for webs, white dust-like residue on the needles, bore holes in the trunk, and small bird nests hidden among the branches (they may contain mites). If you see any of these signs, move on and look for a different tree.
- Before you bring your tree indoors, shake it vigorously. This will dislodge debris like pollen, dust and dead needles.
- As an extra step (for those in warmer climates), you may also want to spray the tree down with a garden hose and allow it to dry before bringing it inside.
- If you see insects, don’t squish them. Many insects (especially aphids) will leave dark colored stains on your carpet and furniture if you squash them. A better alternative is to suck them up using a vacuum with a hose attachment.
- DON’T apply insecticides of any kind to your tree. They are toxic and can cause harm to your family members-even when initially applied outdoors.
- When bringing out the decorations, check boxes and packaging for moisture and damage, it could be signs of unwelcome intruders.
Combine these few helpful tips with a cup of eggnog or two and everyone will be rockin’ around the Christmas tree.
We wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Bug Free New Year!
At BugMaster, we can help you keep your home protected. If you see insects or rodents when you start decorating, give us a call at the Mobile location, 251-666-4402 or the Daphne location, 251-626-6667.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
View our photos on InstagramShare This Post: